Have you ever wondered what the f-keys, or function keys, on your computer keyboard are?
Have you ever asked yourself: “what is the meaning of the f1 to f12 keys?”
Whatever your questions about the f-keys, I’m here to answer them.
The f-keys—f1, f2, f3, f4, f5, f6, f7, f8, f9, f10, f11 and f12, are also known as the function keys and can be used to perform some special functions. They can be used alone on their own and also can be combined with other keys like Shift, alt, the windows key and ctrl to perform some other functions.
READ ALSO: Difference Between Email and Gmail
Also other than their primary functions, the f-keys also can be used to get a function or action depending on softwares, such as Word, Excel and so on.
The function of the f-keys when used alone are represented on each of the keys with some signs and demarcations, such as the f9 being used to reduce the screen brightness and f10 used to increase the brightness, both represented with something that looks like sunlight. These functions may defer depending on each laptop model and/or maker, to get other functions of the function keys, please check the signs made on your keyboard.
Functions of the F-Keys
Below are the functions of the f keys:
F1 can be used to:
- Get help about Microsoft Windows
- Get help on any software you’re currently using
- Windows Key + f1 will open the Microsoft Windows help and support center
READ ALSO: 10 Romantic Ways to Say I Love You
F2 can be used to:
- Rename a selected file or folder
- Pressing Alt+Ctrl+F2 opens document window in Microsoft Word
- Pressing Ctrl+F2 displays the print preview window in Microsoft Word
- Edit the active cell in Microsoft Excel
F3 can be used to:
- In Microsoft Word, Ctrl+F3 will delete any highlighted text
- Pressing Shift+F3 changes an highlighted word in Microsoft Word from upper to lowercase or a capital letter at the beginning of the highlighted word
- Windows Key + F3 opens the Advanced find window in Microsoft Outlook
- Start the “Find on page” function in Windows Explorer
ALSO READ: Meaning of Acronyms Relating to Nigeria
F4 can be used to:
- Repeat the last action performed in Microsoft Word
- Pressing Alt+F4 closes the program window currently active in Microsoft Windows
- Pressing Ctrl+F4 closes the open window or tab in the active window in Microsoft Windows
F5 can be used to:
- Open the Find, Replace, and Go to window in Microsoft Word
- Reload or refresh the current page in a browser
- Pressing Ctrl+F5 forces a complete refresh of the web page, clear the cache and download all contents of the page again
- Refresh the list of contents in a folder
- Starts a slideshow in PowerPoint
F6 can be used to:
- Pressing Ctrl+Shift+F6 opens to another open Microsoft Word document (i.e. switches between open documents)
- Move the cursor to the address bar in a browser
F7 can be used to:
- Check spelling and grammar in Microsoft Word and Outlook
- Pressing Shift+F7 runs a Thesaurus check (i.e. synonym and antonym) on an highlighted word
Related Post: What is Nigeria’s ZIP Code?
F8 can be used to:
- Used to enter the Windows startup menu, commonly used to access Windows Safe Mode
- Used by some computers to access the Windows recovery system, but may require a Windows installation CD
- Note: be careful when using this function, don’t use if you’re not tech savvy.
You can use F9 to:
- Refresh document in Microsoft Word
- Send and receive e-mail in Microsoft Outlook
F10 can be used to:
- Activates the menu bar of an open application
- Pressing Shift+F10 is like “right click” or options on an highlighted word, icon, file, or web link
F11 can be used to:
- Enter and exit full screen mode in browsers
- Access the hidden partition(s) on some computers
You can use F12 to:
- Open the “Save as” window in Microsoft Word
- Pressing Ctrl+F12 opens an already existing Word document in the last folder
- Shift+F12 does the same thing as Ctrl+S – saving a document
- Pressing Ctrl+Shift+F12 displays print preview in Microsoft Word, same as pressing Ctrl+f2
- Open a browser console, especially Mozilla Firefox
These are the functions of the f-key and I sincerely hope that you’ve learnt a new thing here today.
As obvious, this is so much information to master at once or master at all except for the ones that we get to use mostly such as for Microsoft Word, which even is a lot to memorize, too. It is advisable that you bookmark this page so that you can easily access them at any point in time.
Related Post: How to Download Twitter Videos
If you enjoyed this post, please share with others across social media platforms. You can use the share buttons below.
You can also check out some other posts like the most beautiful cities in Nigeria, the hierarchy of courts in Nigeria, ranks in the Nigeria army and so on. Look around the blog, you may find information that may interest you.